Saturday, August 1, 2009

Welcome!

Hi and Welcome!
I have created this blog in an attempt to organize myself and help others with either Celiac Disease, or a gluten allergy/intolerance find their way through living gluten free.

My daughter was just diagnosed as having a 'gluten allergy' in the past few weeks. She's 2 years old. I have spent MUCH time the past several weeks learning all I can about gluten free cooking and baking, and have come a long way I'm happy to say! I can successfully make gluten free brownies, lemon squares, pumpkin loaf, and butter tart/pecan tart squares. I'm still plugging away on pizza crust, and other breads.
I've taken books out from the library, and one so far that I've found particularly helpful is "The First Year Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free" by Jules E. Dowler, Shepard.
I will quickly share here her recipe for Nearly Normal All Purpose Flour This is the only way I've been able to make anything at all taste good! Sadly, it's not doing it for breads for me...but I press on, and when I find something that works, I'll share!!

Here is her recipe.
Jules's Nearly Normal All-Purpose Flour Mix
1 part fine white rice flour
1 part potato starch (not potato flour)
1 part cornstarch
1/2 part fine corn flour
1/2 part tapioca starch
1 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour mix

*I'll add here that I also add about 2 tsp. of Guar gum per 4 cups of mix. And I've also occasionally added 2-3 tsp of gluten free baking powder to the mix as well.

Jules' recommends measuring all ingredients into a gallon ziplock bag and mixing it all about in there....and I totally agree! No mess this way, and it's already in an airtight storage for you!

I highly suggest getting yourself a copy of this book whether it be from the library, or purchased!

I will be back tomorrow with my brownie recipe!
Please feel free to post any of your tried and true recipes for flours or finished baked goods right here in the comments section. I will be thrilled to try them, and also to copy them into a post giving you complete credit for the recipe!

Living gluten free can surely be tricky, but it isn't impossible to do.
I hope to find lots of inspiration here, and hope that you will too!

Thanks for stopping by!
Jillian

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It makes sense that this has been the problem. I am glad that you are now on a path to make things better. Elisabeth Hasselbeck has a cookbook out called the G-Free Diet. You should check it out.

    Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana! I feel so silly for not realizing this was the issue three kids ago. lol I'm sure it's the same thing the boys suffered with ...and they grew out of it around 2 years old.
    Here's hoping she grows out of it as well. We're doing well with everything BUT bread. I make good muffins, brownies, pancakes, hot rice cereal, pumpkin loaf, lemon bars, and we've found a cereal she likes...the bread is terrible though. I even can make pizza dough work...but the bread is rotten. lol
    I will press on!!!

    ReplyDelete